Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Birds are blooming!

Wow - the variety of bird species in the yard has really increased this week.  We seem to have a pair of red-bellied woodpeckers hanging around.  I have named them Blaze (he) and Glory (she) for their amazingly bright head crests.  We can tell them apart because his crest goes all the way to his bill and hers stops on top of her head.  They tend to be sighted hanging upside down from the seed feeders out in front. We have also seen male and female cowbirds and a fun new identification - starlings!

I put a split clementine on top of the feeder post after an oriole flew over the car down by the dam.  So far it has attracted finches, Glory, and tonight - a male scarlet tanager!  Wow, was he bright!

Birds are so cool.  I can't wait until it stops raining again and gets warm enough to put my hammock out under the trees.  I'll be there, bird book, binocs, journal and iPhone in hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment